Friday, January 4, 2008

Low 'n' Slow is the Way to Go ...

That's the way to go. I have two loves in my non-family life: cycling and barbequing. There’s nothing better than a long bike ride followed by a plate full of slow cooked meat – meat that would be otherwise useless were it not for the joys of BBQ.

On this cite, I plan to share with you my journey. Becoming a good pit-master is like anything else: It requires practice, practice, practice. And practice is what I intend to do.

Over the last summer (2007), I had two goals: (1) to create a rub recipe; and (2) to create a sauce recipe. I succeeded on both but am always trying to create more. The sauce I created is a vinegar-based sauce and it is great. I’m trying to come up with a tomato-based sauce now. It’s a tough task.

The other tough task is coming up with a name for my products. I want to name them after cycling products … I’ll have to think about this more.

Currently, I have a 22.5 inch Weber kettle grill. It works pretty well, but I want something a little bigger. I am in the process of getting a Weber Smokey Mountain water-smoker as I have been told my many that it is a good gill to purchase. I also have an old gas grill for the everyday grilling (and I do mean “everyday”).

A few months ago, I saw this pretty cool trailer outdoor-kitchen. It has a griddle, gas grill and charcoal grill. It’s quite cool except that the charcoal grill could not be used for smoking as it is not sealed (open on the sides). It’s cool none the less (see photo below)




No comments: