Sunday, August 17, 2008

Make no little plans ...

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone will be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistency. Remember that our sons and grandsons are going to do things that would stagger us. Let your watchword be order and your beacon beauty. Think big."

- Daniel H. Burnham


This is my motto in life. The bold language hands on my wall in my office and above my computer at home. I read this quote and remember why I push my self so hard. What is the purpose of life, if your blood is not stirred?!? I know I don't want to live a life where I don't feel challenged. This is why I strive every day to lift myself a step higher - whether that be in my personl or family spirituality, at work or in any other facet of my life.

Yes, I am going somewhere with this ... I promise!

I have decided that 2009 will be my "breakout" year - as far as summer physical activities are concerned. I plan on doing the following events (internet links were available):

  • Logan Century (100 mile bike ride starting and ending in Logan, Utah);
  • Spudman Triathlon (in Burley, ID) (1 mile swim, 25 mile bike ride and 6 mile run)
  • Twin Falls Triathlon (1 mile swim, 25 mile bike ride and 6 mile run)
  • Sawtooth Century (100 mile bike ride, starting in Ketchum, Idaho, traveling over Galena Summit to Alturas Lake, then back over Galena Summit to Ketchum, Idaho)
  • Lotoja (207 mile bike race from Logan, Utah to Jackson Hole, Wyoming)
  • Y-Not Tri (1/4 mile swim, 6 mile bike and 2 mile run)

PHEW!! I can't wait for this. The Logan Century may not happen as it appears I may have a family reunion that weekend, but I have my sights set on the others.

The Y-Not Tri is a triathlon in Boise that I will be doing with my family. I have a sister in law, brother in law and other family members who will be doing it. We did this a few years back and had a blast. It's quite disgusting to swim in the Park Center pond, but your are close enough to drowning that you forget about the bird poop pretty quickly.

I plan using this blog as my training journal over this winter. Keep posted!

I'm excited and my blood is stirred!!

1 comment:

Sensational Six said...

Paul if you are able to complete all of those you are the man, and I will bow to your manliness whenever I see you....although I still am the reigning bbq champion.